Skip to main content

Featured

Evolution and Advantages of Online Education: A Shift Towards Virtual Learning

  In the recent student protests at Columbia University in New York City, the university administration decided to use on-line classes as a way to mitigate the potential danger to students. Globally, on-line classes were widely adopted during the Coronavirus pandemic to keep students from spreading the virus through proximate contact with each other. These examples may suggest that on-line education is a means to be adopted under extreme circumstances. This article presents an alternate view; that on-line education is an ideal solution for a variety of reasons and whose time has come. Distance education, a precursor to on-line education, is not new. Some of the earliest versions of distance education were correspondence courses as far back as the 1950s and 60s. Written course materials were sent by mail to students. The students completed the assignments at home and sent in their answer sheets to be evaluated. The quality of these programmes was not very good and they did not receive

Confessions of a Delhi guy

"This might be really hard to believe for people who are so used to hearing the opposite of what you're going to share with them" said a friendly voice, with whom I had just shared a secret that I kept safe with me for all these years.


My voyage in metro started as early as my admission in college. A long sorted route to my college with about 20+ stations in the way. Traveling in Delhi metro brought me many surprises from seeing pretty smiling faces in the morning to meeting new people and also running into school friends from time to time. I couldn't possibly think of a better conveyance than metro because other than being the national capital (or the rape capital, as some may love to call it) and food, Delhi is known for it's crazy ass traffic.

You step in metro, try and look for a seat. Ok stop fooling around,even if you get lucky and get a seat you have to vacate it for the naggin(g) aunty (See what I did there). Observe the people around you. There would be people from different age groups. Aunties who don't seem pretty excited about anything, there are people from outside Delhi with their luggage plonked on the floor and uncountable children crying from different parts of the coach, group of girls giggling, howling and looking superficial than ever, office guys who seem fed up with life. A whole lot of people with different back stories.

With every passing metro station, people squeezed themselves as the crowd waiting outside thrust themselves in with full force. One of these days when I was returning from college. I happened to be caught up in an unusual situation. Metro was fairly crowded. I dabbled my way to the back and with a sigh of relief leaned on the door.  I plugged in the earphones and tucked it in . Few stations passed, more people boarded the coach including two girls who stood in front of me. One of them was immersed in her phone and occasionally looked up to exchange a few words with her mate and then went back to the original state while the other one just stood there quietly stroking her hair and doing girly stuff. I kept streaming through the playlist when I felt a nudge. I simply ignored. Few minutes later, I felt a series of stimulations. I checked she had some space in front of her which she didn't kind of use. I found myself in that awkward position (No pun intended). I looked at people around me. No one paid attention. I did nothing really as some stranger fiddled through my property. I was groped in a moving metro. I was left embarrassed and frozen. I tried not to make an eye contact, but right before she was getting off; we did. The Most awkward eye contact. All this happened for a minute or so. At first it was hard to believe what had just happened but the area below my waist was not lying at all. Not lying down. Get it?

I hoped to share it with everyone with a sense of anonymity. I don't feel I have any bragging rights about this story. I only shared it with my closest friends and they just laughed at my face. One of them chided me for not making a move and asking for her contact number. Talk about Delhi being unsafe for women!

Comments

Popular Posts