Skip to main content

Featured

Liberty vs. Security: India, US, and Canada Grapple with Divergent Approaches Amid Allegations of State-Backed Violence

Apparent divergence of approach to the puzzling interface between liberty and violence has cropped-up again between India, United States and Canada. The latest trigger has come from a report in The Washington Post naming an Indian official involved in the plot to murder Gurpatwant Singh Pannun in New York. The US government has expressed concerns while Government of India (GoI) responds in its own way. At the same time, anti-India and pro-Khalistani utterances and activities in Canada have once again deeply upset GoI. Since India and the US are strategically coming closer and India and Canada would want to do so, the question is how to avoid disagreements on balancing individual liberty with peoples’ security.     In reference to the Post’s report, the White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said on 29 April to the journalists that one Vikram Yadav from Indian intelligence agency RAW contacted the Indian businessman Nikhil Gupta to get Pannun killed by a hired assassin. Gupt

The mystical mask of Goddess Kali

It was amusing to see the masks of goddess Kali hanging out on the balconies and walls of bunglows, everyday on my way home. I would chuckle at the purpose of using mask of Maha Kali for reason of exhibition. Conceiving it to be a sign of devotion. I was not sure. I am aware of usage of masks in different traditions like in classical Indian dance forms where the masks are used by the performers. Masks have a fairly deep rooted existence in our culture and tradition. All this information, but still I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that people keep the masks outside for others see. Streaming into my boat of curiosity, I met people who explained how the mask could keep the potential trouble away from home. Much like the use of lemon and green chillies. It is believed that that the combination of a lemon and seven chillies can keep bad luck away from the business. Nonetheless, it was entirely different.


Coming across one such mask, I recalled the memories of my school days. Going deeper in my pursuit of finding out the answer, I sat down and meditated on the question that clouded my mind. The only way I could get it off my mind was through stillness of the nature. It was mesmerising to go through the deep revelations which hit me. I was struck with a series of moments. I was encapsulated with powerful thoughts of mask of goddess Kali and as I opened my eyes I believed I had found what I was looking for. I'm sharing my insights of what I experienced.

Mask of goddess Kali is depicted in a unique manner. Her tongue is out, stained with blood of sinners and there's an extreme intensity of fury in her eyes. She wears a garland made of skulls, often shown punishing the sinners in paintings. She destroys the evil forces that are actually reckoned as attributes of ignorance and ego. She is called the goddess of time, change, preservation, destruction and creation. Being a dynamic figure, she is worshipped in different parts of India for diverse reasons. The reason why we see the masks on walls is that our sub-conscious mind goes through a different level of awareness where we are in place with our fears and ego. There lies a clear distinction between "self" and "I", Self is what we really are, while "I"is an image that is socially conditioned, giving birth to ahankara (ego). When we come in contact with the idol of Kali or the mask. The "I" gets destroyed and soul come in union with self. Kali breaks the pre conceived notions, frees us from your rigid belief system and everything else that stops us from realising the true nature of ourselves. This eliminates the negative emotions, fears, hate and insecurities that we hold in with us as a baggage of rough time. Negative energies are finished. Kali represents enlightenment itself. Goddess Kali is the supreme manifestation of feminine energy which frees us from our self created prison of ignorance and ego. Similar use of idols are there in temples where different faces try to replicate the same effect.
There's a deep science behind the idols used in Hindu temples and the metaphorical depictions of gods and goddesses. We can use our energies in a right manner to break away from the false image of the physical world that we hold dearly to us. With the mystical mask of goddess Kali we can step closer to the realisation towards the ultimate reality.

Comments

Popular Posts